The Road to India

The Road to India describes my spiritual journey in search of the Truth. Even though I have never been in India, intuitively I feel that the ultimate source of wisdom and enlightment comes from the ancient Vedic scriptures. So I have embarked on this path to find communion with my soul and with God. This blog is a place for me to share the amazing insights I have gained during my ongoing journey. Namaste!

Name:
Location: United States

I was born in China and given the name "China Road," but fate takes me to a spiritual path to India, where the truth is revealed in the form of Vedas.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Benefits of Meditation

There are over 500 scientific studies that have shown the beneficial effects of Transcendental Meditation in all areas of life. They include:
  • Increased happiness
  • Reduced stress
  • Increased intelligence
  • Increased creativity
  • Improved health
  • Improved relationships
  • Increased energy
  • Reduced insomnia
  • Reversal of biological aging
  • Reduced crime and improved quality of life in society
  • Reduced high blood pressure

My first-hand experience has found all of the above, except the last one (which I have never had experience of), to be true.

The reduction of stress level is one that I particularly appreciate. When I first started to meditate, I was working as a journalist and later as a Web producer in New York. The jobs involved long hours and tremendous pressure. Besides, I had a busy private life on top of having the entire stress bundle of "New York living" to deal with. I never slept for more than five or six hours.

But as soon as I started to meditate, my sleep pattern changed automatically. I remember waking up and having overslept one more hour. I had slept seven hours for the first time since years! And strangely enough it was exactly seven hours I slept, no more, no less. Just as my TM teacher told me, the body adjusts and returns to its natural functions as one starts to meditate. It does whatever the body naturally needs. So in my case my body recognized that I had a shortage of sleep. It automatically adjusted my internal alarm clock after I started to meditate.

Since then, I have always felt a strong sense of calmness within and extra energy to boot. A roommate of mine once asked me, "How come you are so energetic the whole evening even after work?"

This was just one of the immediate benefits of TM that I can recall. Overcoming depression was another great step, which I achieved after practicing for about two months of meditation (disclaimer: everybody's condition is different, so my case does not necessarily applies to other people).

Today, scientific studies continue to prove the benefits of TM. Recently, a number of mainstream media has reported on the research that points to the ability of TM to make people live healthier and longer:

ABC News/Reuters: Meditation calms the mind, lengthens life: study

Forbes: Meditation Study Shows Life Gains


Science Daily: Meditation found to extend lifespan

Journal Gazette (Indiana): Calm moments ease stress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home